Evergreen Cemetery is the oldest, fully operating cemetery in the city. It was founded in 1880 and hosted its first burial in 1881. Evergreen has numerous sections for various fraternal, military and religious groups — especially a large Catholic section and two large sections set aside for the Hebrew Cemeteries. Evergreen also includes the old Woodlawn Cemetery and Mount Olive, an African American section.
Evergreen Cemetery is also an official arboretum, a tree sanctuary, used for educational purposes. Every tree on the property has a numbered marker, a common name, scientific name and brief description.
In April 2014, the Flame of Freedom, donated by the American Legion in 1969 to the City of Jacksonville that gives tribute to Veterans, was moved to Evergreen Cemetery from the Duval County Court House (closed in 2012). The flame is now at the entrance of Evergreen at North Main Street.
Prominent people buried at Evergreen are Isaiah Hart, Napoleon Bonaparte Broward, Cora Crane, Sara Hogans, Bion Barnett, Arthur Cummer, Waldo Cummer, Ninah Holden Cummer, James Eugene Merrill, Helen Pearly Merrill, Arthur R. Merrill, Henry J. Klutho, three survivors of the Titanic, Helen Hunt West, Captain James Floyd, St. Elmo W. “Chic” Acosta, Sr., Mary Nolan, the United States Colored Troops (USTC), Rocco Morabito, T. Frederick Davis, John Elie Matthews, John T. Alsop, Jr.
To learn more about Evergreen Cemetery, please click here.