Jacksonville Historical Society was honored by the Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission on May 7 for outstanding achievement in heritage education. More specifically, the society was recognized
for its June 2014 event and exhibit at City Hall to commemorate the 450th anniversary of the French settlement of La Caroline.
The week long exhibit included original artwork from the society’s archival repository; a replica of the monument believed placed near the mouth of the St. Johns by Jean Ribault; relics from Ribault shipwrecks that had not been previously exhibited in Jacksonville; a timeline of the French in North Florida from 1562 to 1568, and a contemporary exhibit of Timucua images.
As part of the event, on June 30th, University of North Florida professors, Keith Ashley and Robert Thunen presented, “Where is Fort Caroline Anyway? Archaeological and Historical Perspectives on Fort Caroline’s Location”.
Dignitaries, including the Consul General of France in Florida, Philippe Letrilliart, attended the event and dressed as Ribault was (then) Council President Bill Gulliford; other Councilmen in French attire were Don Redman, Bill Bishop, and John Cresimbeni. Stephen Joost appeared in Spanish attire.
Among other winners in the Heritage Education category were Barbara Tepa Lupack for her book, Richard Norman and Race Film Making; Dr. Daniel Schafer for his book, Zephaniah Kingsley Jr. and the Atlantic World: Slave Trader, Plantation Owner, Emancipator; and Taylor and Jo Hardwick for Taylor Hardwick: 60 Years of Design.
Jacksonville Historical Society member Lyn Corley took home a Preservation Commission award for her oral history project, Conversations from Mayport. The 431 pages of transcribed material, the recordings, and associated images were generously given to the Jacksonville Historical Society by Lyn. Lyn also received the Florida Historical Society’s statewide award, The Samuel Proctor Award for her project.
Recognized with the “Great Save” award was the relocation and preservation plans for a 126-year-old one-room Mandarin school once used to educate black children. The school, placed at the city’s Walter Jones Historical Park in January, will be managed by the Mandarin Museum and Historical Society. The group raised thousands to secure and restore the building. The Mandarin Community Clubpurchased the school and donated it to the park, and Councilman Matt Schellenberg provided designated City Council funding for the project.
To read about all of the 16 award winning projects, click here.