Top Navigation

Tag Archives | Fort George Island

Historic Properties in Jacksonville

October 2016 Old YMCA Building 407-9 N Laura Street Architect: Henry J. Klutho The first Jacksonville’s YMCA was founded in 1870. Thirty-seven years later, in 1907, members commissioned Henry John Klutho to design a seven-story headquarters building. This building marked the beginning of his commitment to an architectural movement that later became known as the […]

Continue Reading

History of the St. Johns River

History of the St. Johns River For 10,000 years Native Floridians lived along the St. Johns River and at some point referred to its waters by a variety of names, including Welaka, “river of lakes.” It is recorded that natives called the narrow St. Johns River crossing at today’s downtown Jacksonville, Wacca Pilatka, meaning “place […]

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2016 by Jacksonville Historical Society