Top Navigation

Visit the TWO SPOT Speedway for Thrills," trumpeted this postcard. Postmarked January 1958, the card made known "The Famous TWO SPOT Night Club for Unsurpassed Entertainment. Our Cabins for Comfort in Rooms with Steam Heat in Winter, Air Cooled in Summer."
The Two Spot's dance floor.
Patrons of the Two Spot. Someone who is fashion savvy might be able to date the photo by the snazzy ties.
A soda fountain helped keep revelers from overheating at the Two Spot.
Another photo of the Two Spot's soda fountain. This picture was taken in 1947, two years after World War II's conclusion.

The Two Spot

If you were African American in Jax during the Jim Crow era, the Two Spot was the hotspot nightspot.  The fondly remembered venue was located at 45th & Moncrief in the northwest portion of the city.

The Two Spot’s father was the African American businessman James “Charlie Edd” Craddock, who found success in various ventures.  The Jax resident opened his entertainment center on Christmas Day, 1940.  Less than two years later, the NAACP’s magazine rated it as “the finest dance palace in the country owned by a Negro.” In air conditioned comfort, two thousand people could jitterbug, bebop, and swing on a “mirror-like” dance floor made of oak.  (Another thousand could be seated on the main floor and mezzanine, which surrounded three sides.)  Consider such tuneful luminaries as B. B. King, Dinah Washington, Sam Cooke, James Brown, Lionel Hampton, Ruth Brown, Charlie Singleton, and Jackie Wilson (“The Black Elvis”): These celebrities created cool sounds at the Two Spot, while a soda fountain concocted cool treats.  Patrons could also frequent a bar, cafeteria, and several private dining rooms at the venue.

The Two Spot proved a favorite haunt for many African American schools, fraternities, sororities, clubs, and businesses, which held their celebrations there.  The Afro-American Insurance Company, for instance, staged a yearly dance, with men bedecked in bowties and ladies in evening gowns. Following Mr. Craddock’s death in 1957, the Two Spot was sold and renamed the Palms Ballroom.  The venue is now just a musical memory, for a housing development occupies the old site.

~written by Glenn Emery

Copyright © 2017 by Jacksonville Historical Society