The logo that the public has associated with the Jacksonville Historical Society for more than 15 years features the towering spiral of Old St. Andrew’s, but it’s all too often confused as the logo of a functioning church. A newly adopted logo references its forerunner but clearly portrays the archival repository and the 1878 Old St. Luke’s as the society’s purpose and image—the site is, after all, the actual repository of city history.
The Jacksonville Historical Society’s new logo unveiled in late May, offers a fresh and updated look at the organization. Even though nearly two decades remain on the JHS lease agreement to run Old St. Andrew’s and the JHS raised one million dollars to restore the historic church, the society outright owns Old St. Luke’s. The Membership Committee and the Board of Directors decided it was time for the JHS to incorporate an updated statement and look.
To date since the society’s 1929 founding, four known logos have been used by the society—and there may be more!